Need an Injury Lawyer for a Louisiana Bicycle Accident?
In Louisiana, bicycle accidents are no stranger. Louisiana actually has the second-most bicycle deaths out of any state each year. In 2010, there were 11 deaths, which steadily increased to 23 deaths in 2012. In the study, Florida had the most accidents, with Louisiana sitting second. These are not statistics that the state is proud of, with many riders losing their lives on the roads every year, and much more sustaining serious injuries due to the negligence of other drivers.
Many people believe that Louisiana bicycle deaths are on the rise because many more people are choosing to use bicycles as their main mode of transportation to save on gas and ride the amazing trails of the state everywhere they need to go. Though an increase in the number of bicycle riders attributes to fewer accidents, the rates have only increased and many are wondering how these numbers can change. One of the main reasons why these accidents occur in Louisiana every year is due to distracted driving, with drivers and bike riders being unable to put down their cell phones for a moment of safety.
When You Have Been Injured
When you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you want to retain your rights at any cost. Here are some ways that you can protect your rights after a bicycle accident and work toward recovery:
- Remove you and your bike from the roadways to prevent further injury.
- Record all contact information from drivers, passengers, and witnesses who may have seen the accident.
- Grab the license plate number of the party who injured you by driving negligently.
- Never negotiate with the driver who caused your injuries. You also don’t want to take the blame for your accident, because that could hurt your claim later on down the road.
- Speak to the police after your accident, even if you don’t believe you are injured. You should file an accident report, as this could help determine fault and be used for your claim. You will be able to give your version of events.
- Keep a journal of your accident, the details that are most important, and the suffering that you feel on a daily basis due to your injuries.
- Always seek medical attention immediately following your accident, because you never know when you have sustained serious injuries. This is to benefit your health as well as your case in the months to come.
- Seek the help of an experienced attorney.
How to Move Forward With Your Claim
After you have been injured in a bicycle accident, it is normal for a driver to attempt to blame you for the accident. However, many accidents happen every year due to the negligence of drivers by means of speeding, drunk driving, distracted driving, and more. In Louisiana, these are some of the major causes of accidents, including drivers who text and drive or those who glance away from the road even though bicycle riders remain most susceptible to these terrible accidents. Having excellent evidence in your case can be extremely helpful when you are working toward recovery.
Those involved in bicycle accidents could sustain serious injuries, from fractures of the jaw and facial contusions to fractured bones, dislocated joints, road rash when thrown from the bicycle, and more. Traumatic brain injuries are extremely common, especially when a bicycle rider was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. These injuries can have a long-lasting or permanent effect on you for the rest of your life, making it difficult to keep up with finances or return to work. This is why it is vital to have an attorney on your side every step of the way.
Have you been injured in a bicycle accident? Do you need help compensating for your injuries in this difficult time of recovery? Call an attorney who can help you every step of the way in Louisiana as you work toward compensation. We are waiting to hear from you.